- Brooke, N. M. (1989) Visible speech signals: Investigating their analysis, synthesis, and perception. In M. M. Taylor, F. Neel, & D. G. Bouwhuis (Eds.), The Structure of Multimodal Dialogue. Holland: Elsevier Science Publishers.
- Brooke, N. M. (1992) Computer graphics synthesis of talking faces. In G. Bailly, C. Benoît, & T. R., & Sawallis (Eds.) Talking machines: Theories, Models, and Designs Amsterdam: North Holland, 505-522.
- Brooke, N.M. (1992) Computer graphics animations of speech production, in W.A. Ainsworth (ed.) Advances in Speech, Hearing and Language Processing, Volume 2, 87-134 (JAI Press, London).
- Brooke, N.M. (1992) Mouth shapes and speech, in V. Bruce and M. Burton (eds.) Processing Images of Faces, 20-40 (Ablex Publishing Corporation, Norwood, N.J.)
- Brooke, N.M. & Petajan, E.D. (1986) Seeing Speech : Investigations into the Synthesis and Recognition of Visible Speech Movements Using Automatic Image Processing and Computer Graphics, Proceedings of the International Conference on Speech Input and Output : Techniques and Applications, 24-26.
- Brooke, N.M. & Scott, S.D. (1994) Computer graphics animations of talking faces based on stochastic models, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Speech, Image-processing and Neural Networks (Hong Kong), 73-76 (IEEE).
- Brooke, N. M. & Summerfield, A. Q. (1983) Analysis, synthesis, and perception of visible articulatory movements. Journal of Phonetics, 11, 63-76.
- Brooke, N. M. & Templeton, P.D. (1990) Classification of lip shapes and their association with acoustic speech events. Proceedings of the ECSA Workshop on Speech Synthesis (Autrans, France), 245-248.
- Brooke, N. M. & Templeton, P.D. (1990) Visual speech intelligibility of digitally processed facial images. Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics (Autumn Conference, Windmeme), 12(1), 483-490.
- Brooke, N.M. & Tomlinson, M.J. (to appear) Processing facial images to enhance speech communication, in M.M. Taylor, F. Neel and D.G. Bouwhuis (eds.) Proceedings of the Second Venaco Conference on the Structure of Multimodal Dialogue. (also available as Bath University Mathematics and Computer Science Technical Report 94-71)
- McGrath, M., Summerfield, A.Q. & Brooke, N.M. (1984) Roles of lips and teeth in lipreading vowels, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics (Autumn Meeting, Windermere), 6(4), 401-408.
- Petajan, E.D., Bischoff, B., Bodoff, D., & Brooke, N.M. (1988) An improved automatic lipreading system to enhance speech recognition, in E. Soloway, D. Frye and S.B. Sheppard (eds.) CHI ’88 Conference Proceedings: Human Factors in Computing Systems (Washington, D.C.), 19-25 (Association for Computing Machinery, New York).
- Petajan, E.D., Brooke, N.M., Bischoff, B., & Bodoff, D.A. (1988) Experiments in automatic visual speech recognition, in W.A. Ainsworth and J.N. Holmes (eds.) Proceedings of the 7th Symposium of the Federation of Acoustical Societies of Europe (FASE), 1163-1170 (Institute of Acoustics, Edinburgh).
- Summerfield, A. Q., MacLoed, A., McGrath, M., & Brooke, N.M. (1989) Lips, teeth, and the benefits of lipreading. In A.W. Young & H.D. Ellis (Eds.) Handbook of Research in Face Processing, Amsterdam: North Holland.